But it’s not really about me — it’s about you! It’s about you getting the best representation possible on the City Council. It’s about you and everyone else having a voice in city government. And it’s about you being welcomed to the community table. Because I firmly believe I’m the right person to represent you, please let me to tell you more about myself and my background.
I moved to Winston-Salem in 1987 to start my career with Sara Lee Branded Apparel, now Hanesbrands. Having grown up in the small town of Aiken, SC, I was thrilled to be living in the “big city” of Winston-Salem! It didn’t take me long to become actively engaged in the community, and over the years I have served in various leadership roles.
I currently work with Leadership Winston-Salem, a cornerstone in the local non-profit world that teaches emerging leaders about our community and connects them with opportunities to serve. I am on the City of W-S Senior Games and Silver Arts planning committee. I am president of the Seasons Chase Homeowners Association, an active member (and former choir director) at Green Street United Methodist Church, and I am also the volunteer director of the Winston-Salem Pops Chorus. Since COVID-19 hit, I have been volunteering regularly with the Maple Springs UMC Food Pantry.
MY HISTORY OF COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP
- Eighteen years with Hanesbrands (formerly Sara Lee Branded Apparel) including seven years as community relations manager, working with local and state leaders across public and private sectors;
- Tournament director of The Crosby National Celebrity Golf Tournament while at Sara Lee/Hanes;
- Member of the Winston-Salem Donors’ Forum, a group comprised of representatives from the Winston-Salem Foundation, Kate B. Reynolds and Z. Smith Reynolds Foundations and other locale philanthropic organizations;
- Loaned Executive/Campaign Officer for the United Way;
- Vice president of marketing and communications, AIDS Care Service;
- Executive director, Sawtooth School for Visual Art;
- Interim executive director, Little Theatre of Winston-Salem;
- Served on various local boards and committees including March of Dimes, National Black Theatre Festival, The Arts Council, Crosby Scholars Community Partnership, Winston-Salem Symphony Chorale, Triad Pride Men’s Chorus, AIDS Care Service, Little Theatre, and 40+ Stage Company.
I am a summa cum laude graduate of Wofford College (Spartanburg, SC) with a BA in Government and Spanish. I’m proud to say I was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa honor society my senior year. I earned an International MBA from the University of South Carolina in Columbia. The “other” Carolina.